Success is difficult to achieve. It doesn’t happen in an instant, despite the common myth of the overnight sensation. It is a gradual track with many ups, downs, dips, dives, and hurdles.
Thinking differently can level the track and some hurdles are unavoidable, in fact, they are a necessity. Here are 17 hurdles, when you see them, jump over and just keep running!
- Make the call you’re afraid to make
- Get up earlier (than you want to)
- Give more than you get in return, right away
- Care more about others than they care about you
- Fight when you are already knocked down
- Take risks when playing it safe seems smarter
- Lead when no one else is following
- Invest in yourself (even when no one else is)
- Be willing to look foolish to find the answers you need
- Grind out details when it is easier to shrug them off
- Deliver results when making excuses is an option
- Search for your own explanations even when you are told to “accept the facts”
- Run faster even when you are out of breath
- Be kind to those who have been cruel to you
- Meet deadlines that are unreasonable and deliver unparalleled results
- Be accountable for your actions when things go wrong
- Keep moving towards where you want to be no matter what is in front of you
You have to do the hard things. The things that no one else is willing to do. The things that scare you. The things that make you wonder how much longer you can hold on.Those are the things that define you. Those are the things that separate mediocrity from authentic success.
The tallest hurdles are the easiest things to avoid. To excuse away. To pretend like they don’t apply to you.
The simple truth about how ordinary people accomplish outrageous feats of success is that they do the hard things that others don’t have the courage, or desperation, to do.
Do the hard things. You might be surprised at how amazing you really are.